Air humidifier for babies is needed for home microclimate optimization. Its main purpose is to create an optimum moisture environment which provides maximum comfort for a child and all the other people who live there. This device is irreplaceable in dry climate conditions and in houses where air can’t be humidified naturally for some reasons.
Why Do Children Need Moist Air?
Moist air is necessary for every person, child or adult. Optimum moisture is useful even for pets, plants and furniture. For humans, it’s not an issue of just comfort, but also health.
Here are some reasons to pick such a device for your home:
- Moist air prevents development of many respiratory illnesses from bronchitis to pneumonia.
- It positively affects skin, preventing ageing and diseases that occur because of lack of moisture.
- Dry air negatively impacts mucous membrane of larynx and nasopharynx, and immune system in general, making your body more prone to harmful bacteria and infections.
- Optimum moisture doesn’t allow human body to suffer from dehydration.
- Moist environment positively impacts health of visual organs.
- Dry air badly affects nervous system: in can be a reason of insomnia, irritability and rapid fatigability.
- Child’s body is several times more sensitive to all the negative factors of the environment. So the issue of microclimate optimization is a really serious one. Child’s body doesn’t yet have enough resources to fight the consequences of lack of moisture. That’s why air humidifier is needed in a child’s room.
However, you have to take into account that excessively humid environment is also harmful, especially for babies. Excessive humidity creates favorable conditions for creation and development of harmful bacteria. So it is important to choose the correct humidifier and use it, striking a balance between dryness and humidity. It depends on the technical characteristics of the device itself.
Types of Air Humidifiers for Babies’ Room
Before determining how to choose air humidifier for babies, let’s look at their different variants. There are a lot of types of humidifiers, each of which has a range of advantages and disadvantages determined by their working principle, construction and other peculiarities.
Traditional humidifier usually works on a hot steam. Their working principle is based on a usual water expulsion.
- Boiling provides filtration: it kills the majority of harmful bacteria.
- Such devices quickly give visible result.
- They don’t require constant change of filters.
- They have affordable prices.
- Hot steam can traumatize in case of careless use. Child can burn himself easily.
- Increase temperature around – excessive heat is harmful for babies.
- Often don’t have auto-mode and have little options for manual setting.
- Some models work unstable and need constant control. This gets worsened with the lack of moisture detectors.
Ultrasound air humidifiers for babies are more modern and functional. Their working principle is that the water inside doesn’t get expulsed in the form of heat, but «splits» due to the vibration of ultrasound membrane. This has a number of advantages and disadvantages.
- Such humidifiers work very quietly and won’t disturb child’s sleep.
- They are quite safe, as they don’t heat water, but expel «cold» steam, that doesn’t burn.
- They have a vast functionality and a wide range of manual settings, which allows to choose precisely correct configurations for every particular case.
- The majority of models have automatic mode, which allows the device to turn off by itself after complete water expulsion, which increases its safety.
- More advanced models have multi-staged system of water purification, preventing insertion of harmful elements and microorganisms into the steam, and then in the air of child’s room.
- «Cold» working principle doesn’t antisepticise steam, with which everything that was in the water, gets into the air. If the water is of low-quality and unfiltered, salts, heavy metals and other elements are added to harmful bacteria. This relates to cheap models that don’t have additional purifying systems.
- Such devices cost more than their analogues.
Washer’s working principle is based not on water expulsion, but on air intake, that goes through moist net and gets emitted in the room. Such air humidifier is well suitable for babies’ room.
- Performs not only as air humidifier, but also as purifier.
- Effective air purification. Washer is the only device for microclimate optimization which fully copes with this task even in the most neglected cases.
- High cost of the device and its components.
- For the correct work, you have to often change cartridges, which are expensive. It also means that the device requires constant external control.
- Such devices are very big in size and take a lot of space.
According to this article on CuteLittleDarling, the best humidifier for baby is climate-control. It’s even more multi-functional device. It purifies and humidifies air, can regulate its temperature and effectively remove dust. Such models are bigger and more expensive than their analogues.
- A combination of a wide range of different functions in one device.
- Quiet work.
- Convenient electronic interface.
- Wide range of manual settings, a lot of working modes and installed detectors.
- Remote-control feature.
- High safety level.
- Very high price.
- Gigantic sizes due to the large amount of additional accessories.
Criteria for Choosing The Best Humidifier for Baby
Babies’ bodies are more sensitive and demanding than adults’ bodies, so there are more criteria for choosing humidifier for babies.
Criteria are the following:
Safety. One of the most important factors. Air humidifier for babies should work stable and not cause injuries.
Range of manual settings. Moisture and temperature levels should be picked precisely for babies’ room, as any deviation can lead to unpleasant consequences. The more detailed settings can a device offer, the more it is suitable for babies’ bedroom.
Noise when working. This is mostly important for infants. Many humidifiers work loud even for adults. So it’s better to pay attention to more quiet models, or those that have a quiet mode.
Self–regulation level. Device should work without constant external control, and work stable. It’s better if humidifier has a timer and a function of automatic turn-off.
Power of the device calculated on the room size. The best option is two airflows passing through the device per hour.
Reservoir capacity. The bigger the reservoir is, the longer the device works. As a rule, four-five liters is enough for 8-hours work.
Components and operation peculiarities. The more often you’ll need to change filters and other elements, or perform repair and cleansing, the less preferred the device is. The device for a child should be effective and durable.
Particular needs the device is purchased for. Different types of humidifiers have different functions and purposes. So you should decide, what exactly do you need from the device: humidification, purification or other functions.
It’s important to remember that humidifier is household appliances. First and foremost, you should consider productivity, effectiveness and safety for a baby. Then you’ll be able to answer a question, which humidifier is the best for the room. Decorative features go into a background in this case. You should also always observe the minimum safety procedures and basic maintenance rules. Then almost any device will work correctly.