We have been taught the importance of the Good habits since childhood. When you start doing something from the get-go and keep on doing it for every single day, there will come a time when you won’t have to remember to do it.
You’ll automatically do it at the same time you do it every day. That’s the power of a habit. Good or bad. Once you get used to some habits they are hard to break. We have come up with the list of some of the worst habits and how to break these habits just for you.
The first two are related to food and almost all of us have at least one of these habits.
Overeating/ Binge Eating:
The aroma of the food and the delicious taste of it doesn’t help you much when you are a serial binge eater. Being a binge eater doesn’t do much for your health or weight both of which happen to be directly related.
- Start eating healthy: This is one habit that you won’t want to break. So, start already.
- Don’t skip your breakfast: Skipping breakfast and then bringing at lunch is not the right way to go. You consume far too much and are too greedy with your food.
- Take your time finishing your meals: Devour is a verb we use to describe an action when someone consumes food with greed. But you shouldn’t just swallow it all in a single gulp but take mindful bites.
- Use a journal: Keeping a journal will be good for you, not just because you can keep tabs on your food but it will also assist you in becoming focused in your life.
First, understand the difference between hunger and boredom. Not every other hour is chow-time so, dial it down a bit. You are bored, try out some other activities. Your phone itself provides you with so many possibilities. Read a book, listen to a song, watch a movie.
We get it you are busy all the time, working to build a career. We get that you have responsibilities. But skipping meals is a bad habit. And we don’t mean the bad habits that you got scolded for as a kid. But habits that make you and break you. And this one just might break you.
- Set alarm: Most of you might forget to eat because you don’t remember and are not that hungry. But eating meals at proper times is essential because if your stomach is empty the acid that helps you digest the food might damage the lining of your stomach. So, all you have to do is set an alarm once and you can tick all the days on the clock. See, it doesn’t take much effort and this way you’ll never forget.
- Take breaks: Working hard towards your goal is commended by everyone but don’t work yourself into stress. Take breaks when you set the alarm after you eat your meal go for a light walk.
- Eating alone is prohibited: Eating alone sucks and if you are not a big fan of food then it sucks even more. Always eat with either your colleagues or friends, talking while eating might be considered a bad habit by many but at least you’ll eat more when your attention is diverted from the fact that you don’t enjoy eating.
You must have seen the cigarette packets they have such gruesome pics of throat cancer on it and still, people smoke. But if you are here there is a good chance that you would like to quit smoking.
- Step 1: Setting this date is more important than any other date. It is the first step to breaking this bad habit. Once you set a date, don’t change your mind. Give yourself the time of a few weeks to prepare for that date. The quitting date.
There will be times when you want to convince yourself that you don’t need to quit. Well, you can have that debate with yourself during the week. But at the end when you reach the date do the right thing for you, and for everyone around you.
- Step 2: Ask for help: Quitting smoking has only one drawback the withdrawals. But you are stronger than those withdrawals and if you think that you can’t do it on your own then get help. Inform your family member, friends, colleagues or even your doctor, whoever you trust to get you through it.
- Step 3: Cold turkey: Once the date arrives, get rid of all the cigarettes or any tobacco product that you have in your household or work. Avoidance might not work in lots of cases but with this, it will work. It always works. Out of sight will soon become out of mind and you’ll be better for it.
Drinking and overuse Of Prescription Drugs:
Drinking to the extent that you can’t feel anything or excessive drug intake is usually the sign of a person who is trying to escape the reality of his/her life.
- Accept that drinking is not going to change anything. It won’t make your life better or solve your problems. It just makes things worse in the long run. You’ll get your escape now, but in the end, it’s not just you who suffers but everyone around you does.
- You being here states that you are aware that you have a problem. Alcohol and drug withdrawal can be hard but if you don’t give up and continue resisting the urge to drink or consume drugs, quite soon the urge won’t matter. It’s not going to go away, the urge to drink or consume drugs, and when you choose to continue resisting despite those facts you emerge a victor and you become a survivor.
- You might not want to admit it but Rehab is a way better solution for you. Sure, some of you might be able to cope without any help but rest of us need help and there is no need to feel ashamed about it. If you have to feel ashamed about something feel ashamed about the way you are treating your body abusing it with the drugs and alcohol.
All of us have seen this woman go crazy over a sale. Well, let’s not join her in her crazy even if she is a recovered shopaholic. Here’s how you can curb your desire for shopping even if you think you are too far gone.
Question yourself constantly:
- “Do I need that dress/watch/belt?”
- “Do I have the sufficient money?”
- “How is this going to affect my budget?”
- “Do I even have any occasion to wear it?”
The answers will usually be.
- No, don’t need the dress/watch/belt.
- No, I’m broke.
- It’s going to set me back for a long while.
- Don’t know where to wear it but I want it.
See, there is that pesky little want. Wanting doesn’t necessarily mean needing it.
The next thing you could do is get an app that tracks your spendings. Manage your money. When you see that you are spending more than you are earning, you’ll realize that you have shopped yourself into debt or are soon going to be in debt that you can never dream of clearing.
So, get real. Spend wisely. Enjoy new things once in a while when the occasion calls for it. Nothing less, nothing more.
These are the few habits that are common and each one of them leaves their mark on the people who have been trying to break them. Well here is your chance to do something about it. Take initiative and get your life back on track.